Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Wake Forest

Well, Kim made her appointment to see Dr. Koch at Wake Forest University Baptist Hospital this morning. They cannot do any needed blood work or surgery until the staff infection has cleared up. The stomach emptying test that she took earlier this year showed that after four hours only 4% of the food in her stomach had emptied; Dr Koch said that this is as bad as it gets. When she is able to eat solid foods she has a tendency to over eat because she does not have any sensation in her stomach (cannot feel like she is full). He said when he can do the surgery to put the 'J' tube in (for fluids and/or nutrition) he will insert it directly into the intestines as her stomach is too fragile for the surgery. She is to continue with several meals a day consisting of liquids and one meal she can take with her family if she is up to it. She has to consume at least one liter of water a day. She is anemic. Did I tell you she can no longer drive? I knew this but when the doctors tell you it seems to make it sound worse. Well, the good news is that she is fighting to get well again; as you know, she sometimes gives up.

Hugs,
Liv

6 comments:

Vicki Chrisman said...

Oh my goodness, that poor girl! I'm telling you.. I have NOTHING to complain about! I need to thank the good Lord for the good things in my life. I am so so sorry that Kim has all this to deal with. I'm almost ashamed of myself and the silly little things I complain about. Shame on me.
Keeping Kim in my prayers always!!

Brooke - in Oregon said...

Glad to hear Kim is on the fight again. I can only imagine just how hard it is to have to continually struggle. Good for her for swinging back!

You are such a good Mom/Grama! Hugs as always and Prayers of course :)

rose said...

oh my, so sorry kim has had another set back,honest keep your chin up and I`m praying for you all

rose said...

oh my, so sorry kim has had another set back,honest keep your chin up and I`m praying for you all

rose said...

oh my, so sorry kim has had another set back,honest keep your chin up and I`m praying for you all

rose said...

oh my, so sorry kim has had another set back,honest keep your chin up and I`m praying for you all